Note: this is currently the oldest Recent Feature that we've added to the new version of the website, but the rest are on the way!
Cemeteries are outdoor museums of history and art and important landscaped spaces. Pam Fox will look not only at who's buried in Weston's two oldest cemeteries but also at changes in tombstone styles, materials, and placement between the time of the Farmers Burying Ground (established 1703) and Central Cemetery (established 1792).
2:00 pm Meet at the Golden Ball Tavern
Refreshments and tour of the museum
2:30 pm Pam Fox will lead a walk down Boston Post Road to the Farmers' Burying Ground (corner Colpitts Road) and from there to Central Cemetery (corner Linwood Road).
Co-sponsored by the Weston Historical Society and Golden Ball Museum
Lincoln Filene, president of the famous Boston department store founded by his father in 1870, became a Weston resident after purchasing 40 acres in Weston in 1909. His Tudor-style mansion stood on what is now Coburn Road until it was demolished in the late 1930s.
Michael Lisicky is author of the book Filenes: Boston's Great Specialty Store. In addition to lecturing and writing about famous department stores, Lisicky is a graduate of the New England Conservatory of Music and oboist with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.
Join us for wine, hors d'oeuvres, and dessert at the Josiah Smith Tavern barn. This special members-only event will provide opportunity for socializing and informal discussion of the Weston Historical Society, past, present, and future.
Upcoming Event of Interest
We would like to notify WHS members of the following historical lecture that might be of interest. On Tuesday, September 30 at 6 pm, Mary Fuhrer will give a talk at the Golden Ball Tavern Museum, 662 Boston Post Road, on her book A Crisis of Community: The Trials and Transformation of a New England Town, 1815-1848. The book addresses the social, political and economic changes that occurred in Boylston, MA, from 1815 to 1848. Mary lovingly brings to life Boylston's inhabitants as they struggle to cope with the waves of change that drastically alter their environment. It is a small leap to see that Boylston's problems and progress are very similar to those of Weston and other farm towns in these years. Her study beautifully illuminates this often neglected period.
Mary will be selling her books at a 40% discount on the night of the talk.
If you are interested in attending please email the Golden Ball Tavern Museum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A significant Weston landmark is now on the market. Northeastern University, owner of the magnificent Tudor-style Edward R. Peirce House (also known as Henderson House) has listed the 10-bedroom, 16,463-square-foot mansion for $7,795,000. The hilltop property encompasses 5.62 acres.
The Peirce House is the only remaining Tudor estate house in Weston and one of the most significant of about a dozen remaining estate houses in Weston. It retains a wealth of architectural detail, both inside and out.
The present house is the second to be built on the site, replacing a 1903 mansion of similar style built for Arthur Winship Clapp. Edward Peirce bought the Clapp House in 1908. On New Year's Day, 1925, while Mr. and Mrs. Peirce were in California for the winter, fire destroyed the former Clapp House. It was rebuilt using a similar floorplan and style. Below are photographs of the original 1903 house and the rebuilt 1926-28 version. Notice the similarities and differences.
Additional history and images of Henderson House can be found on this page.*
(* page not yet added to new website)