View as slideshowView as galleryClick on any image to view in slideshowClick on enlarged image to open full-size «‹›» The center section and west wing of the Hook & Hastings organ factory were completed in 1887 and the east wing by 1889. The factory was located on Viles Street just north of the Fitchburg Railroad tracks. The building had an 80-foot-wide center section and two 100-foot wings. It stood out in the deforested late 19th century landscape. This view from Brook Road shows Hastings Hall at left and District School #4 and the Hastings Homestead and barn in the distance. Hastings Hall, built in 1889, was the location for community events and entertainments. These factory worker houses were built along White Lane (later Brook Road) in the early 1890s. Worker housing on Viles Street included an existing tenement house with four apartments (left) and two double houses built in 1887. One of two worker double houses on Viles Street. Organ factory owner Francis Henry Hastings built his own house at 190 North Avenue in 1885 (early 1890s photo). Distant view of rear of Francis Henry Hastings house, taken from around Brook Road. The manufacture of organs required a variety of skilled craftsmen. (1898 photo) Hook & Hastings made all parts of its organs except the keys. In 1906, the company had 70 employees, about half of whom lived in Weston. In its 108 years of operation in Boston and Weston, the Hook brothers and Hook & Hastings produced an estimated 2,614 organs. Hook & Hastings organs ranged in size from 8 to 80 feet and were shipped all over the country (1893 photo, location unknown). Hook & Hastings organs were known for their superior craftsmanship. This cover is for a promotional catalog of 1917. Hook & Hastings organ factory scrapbook, Weston Historical Society collections.