View as slideshowView as galleryClick on any image to view in slideshowClick on enlarged image to open full-size «‹›» Weston Station was in place by the grand opening of the Massachusetts Central Railroad in October 1881. This early 1890s photo is the oldest known image. It shows the station in the original location on the west side of Church Street and Old Road. Notice the small section house (for track maintenance) in the distance. (R. Richard Conard Collection) This is the only known photo of a train with the original name, "Massachusetts Central." It was probably taken in the fall of 1881. Two years later, the railroad line was reorganized and renamed the Central Massachusetts. (Hudson Historical Society) This photo of Weston Station was probably taken shortly after the concrete overpass was constructed and the station moved, in 1911-12. Promoters of the ill-fated Central Massachusetts Railroad hoped to reach west of New England, but they were lucky to make it to Northampton. (Railway & Locomotive Historical Society) This timetable dates from 1881, before the railroad was reorganized and renamed. The building is the Boston & Lowell depot (Old North Station) on Causeway Street in Boston. (H. Bentley Crouch Collection) Railroad organizers had trouble raising money. Even in Weston, where the railroad would directly benefit the town, voters twice rejected resolutions to purchase shares of stock with public funds. (Hudson Historical Society) This photo shows long-time Weston Station agent Charles R. Cole and his dog "Prince" in 1909. The station agent's job included sending telegrams; selling tickets; keeping sales records; handling freight, mail and baggage; sending and receiving telegraph messages; maintaining the station; stocking the coal stove in winter; and lowering the crossing gate. (R. Richard Conard Collection) This ticket was issued between 1881, when the Massachusetts Central Railroad opened for business, and 1883, when the company was reorganized and the name was changed to Central Massachusetts. Elevations of Weston Station from "Railroad Structures" by Armitage, Plan Book No. 1, HO Scale, published to help model train enthusiasts build reproduction depots and freighthouses (Weston Historical Society) Plan of Weston Station, from "Railroad Structures" by Armitage, Plan Book No. 1, HO Scale (Weston Historical Society) This postcard is one of a series of Weston images produced about 1912. It shows the relocated station and recently completed concrete bridge. The bridge on Concord Road was constructed at the same time. (Weston Historical Society postcard, c. 1912) The reinforced concrete bridge (1911-12) was built to eliminate the grade crossing at Church Street. The station was moved to the east side of Church Street as part of the project. The smaller arch allowed wagons to pass between the station and the freight spur track, which remained in its original location west of Church Street. (WHS postcard, c. 1912) This photograph shows Weston Station in 1910, with Station Agent Cole's dog "Prince" in the foreground. Notice the many telegraph wires. In the late 19th and early 20th century, before telephones were in common use, residents would come to the station to send telegraph messages. The Cherry Brook Station was never more than a simple shelter. Over the years, there were various versions in different shapes and sizes. Before 1911, when the overpass was constructed, it sheltered the safety gate operator as well as passengers. Looking east at the Conant Road bridge in January 1988, five months prior to its demolition. The bridge dated from 1937. The high elevation in the middle blocked motorists' views of oncoming traffic, and the weight limit was low for trucks. (Photo by R. Richard Conard) Boston & Maine westbound passenger train at Weston Station around 1950. Note the two men on the caboose at far left. (Photo by Wayne Brumbaugh, from Boston & Maine Historical Society website) Weston Station in 1976.